Commercial Truck Accidents
Thousands of large commercial trucks and 18 wheelers pass through the Atlanta area each year. Several major companies, such as The Coca-Cola Company and The Home Depot, are headquartered in the greater Atlanta area. With that, there are a large number of commercial vehicles on the roadways.
Drivers behind the wheel of commercial trucks and 18 wheelers have to be cautious when operating the vehicles. The large trucks require a certain amount of skill to operate, and any distractions while driving could lead to a mistake. The large size of a semi truck gives it very limited maneuverability, making it harder to control.
Unfortunately, you cannot prepare for a truck accident or predict the negligent actions of others. If you are involved in a commercial truck accident, it is important you contact skilled and experienced legal representation. A personal injury attorney can help you hold the party responsible for your injuries.
Atlanta 18-Wheeler Accident Attorney
If you have been injured in a commercial truck or 18 wheeler accident, contact a skilled Atlanta commercial truck accident attorney at The Balams Firm. Emmanuel Balams is an experienced auto accident attorney who will fight to help you get the compensation you deserve. Each client is important, and your case will be handled with importance.
Contact The Balams Firm today at (404) 445-2005 to schedule a free case evaluation. ReShea Balams is based in Atlanta and represents clients throughout the area, including Marietta, Duluth, Decatur, Forest Park, Alpharetta, Buckhead, Johns Creek, Sandy Springs, East Point, Smyrna, College Park, Norcross, Brookhaven, Roswell, Lawrenceville, and Milton.
Georgia Trucking Accident Information Center
- Common Causes of Big Rig Accidents in Georgia
- Possible Injuries Caused by Commercial Vehicle Accidents
- Seeking Compensation after 18-Wheeler Accidents
- Resources for Commercial Truck Accidents
Accidents can happen for a variety of reasons, whether it is human error or things outside of a person’s control, such as heavy rain or snow on the roads. As a driver, you should be aware of the conditions and adjust your driving accordingly.
However, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, common causes of distraction include:
- Distracted driving, such as eating or daydreaming
- Reckless driving
- Failure to check blind spots
- Following too closely
- Driver fatigue or inattention
- Use of a cell phone, including calls or texting
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Debris or other items in the roadway
- Inclement weather, such as heavy rain or ice
- Unsecured cargo or failure to abide by cargo limits
- Tire or truck problems, including a tire blowout
- Failure to follow traffic signs
The trucking industry is heavily regulated by both federal and state laws. This means commercial truck crashes often are more complex than passenger vehicle crashes. For example, the Department of Motor Carrier Safety Administration specifically prohibits interstate truck and bus drivers from using handheld mobile phones while operating a vehicle, including texting.
The administration also dictates the amount of time 18-wheeler drivers should be behind the wheel. No driver is allowed to operate a motor vehicle when his or her ability and alertness are impaired in any way, including fatigue and illness.
Claims may be brought against several parties in commercial trucking accident cases, including the driver and the trucking company, depending on the facts of the accident. A personal injury attorney can help you determine the best route to pursue damages.
Commercial trucks often are considered dangerous because of the size. Whether the vehicles are operated carelessly or they simply lose control of the truck, a crash can cause major damage to other drivers and their vehicles. When they cross paths with smaller cars or trucks, it often leads to injuries or even death.
Possible injuries from 18 wheeler accidents include:
- Broken or fractured bones
- Brain injuries
- Spinal cord or neck injuries
- Sever nerve damage
- Bruises, scrapes or burns
- Internal organ damage
If you or a family member has been involved in an 18 wheeler accident, the victim may be eligible for compensation. After a crash you can seek damages for medical bills, lost wages, mental and physical pain or even funeral costs.
Types of damages include:
- Economic damages – These damages are intended to compensate the injured party for all financial losses they have incurred or will incur a result of a car crash, including medical bills or lost wages.
- Noneconomic damages – These damages are intended to compensate the injured party for damages and losses they have suffered as a result of the accident. This includes mental and physical pain or anguish.
- Punitive damages – Georgia law allows for punitive damages in some truck accident cases, such as if a driver is under the influence of drugs or alcohol. The damages also have been allowed in cases where drivers failed to log hours of service or falsified driving logs.
A diligent personal injury attorney can work with tough insurance companies to get the settlement you deserve. However, should you decide you cannot reach a settlement with the company, The Balams Firm can help you file suit to get the appropriate compensation for your case.
Like most states, Georgia has a statute of limitations restricting the amount of time you can file for damages in a personal injury case. In Georgia, you have two years to file a lawsuit in court to seek damages in a civil personal injury case. The two-year deadline typically begins on the date of the accident that caused the injuries.
Georgia Trucking Portal: Operated by several state agencies, the U.S. Department of Transportation and the Georgia Motor Trucking Association, this website gives guidance about regulation for commercial trucks.
Georgia Motor Trucking Association: This is an industry group that represents trucking companies in the state.2060 Franklin Way SE #200
Marietta, GA 30067
Finding the Best Truck Accident Lawyer in the Atlanta Area
Personal injury litigation can be a time consuming and confusing process. Make sure your needs are represented and you get the compensation you deserve. Contact The Balams Firm at (404) 445-2005 if you have been injured in a commercial truck accident.
Atlanta 18-wheeler accident attorney ReShea Balams has the experience and knowledge to get the best possible compensation for your case. The Balams Firm represents clients injured anywhere in DeKalb, Cobb, Gwinnett, Clayton or Fulton Counties.