Retail Store Accidents
Hardly a day and almost never a week goes by that most of us do not set foot in some of retail establishment. Whether to buy food, home supplies, electronics or clothes or to bank, people in Atlanta spend a significant amount of time in these stores.
However, the high amount of traffic and the prevalence of merchandise everywhere makes these establishments prone to accidents. When a customer suffers an accident due to negligence on the part of store management, he or she may be entitled to compensation.
Atlanta Retail Store Accident Lawyer
ReShea Balams is a skilled Atlanta retail store accident lawyer who helps the victims of careless management and employees at the many shops in the area. She will take on the store and their insurance company, and seek recovery that truly matches the extent of your damages. Call The Balams Firm today at (404) 445-2005 to schedule a free consultation.
The Balams Firm represents clients throughout the Atlanta area, including Sandy Springs, Roswell, Johns Creek, College Park, Norcross, Duluth, Smyrna, , Milton, Decatur, Brookhaven, Lawrenceville, Alpharetta, Dunwoody and anywhere in Fulton, Gwinnett, Clayton, DeKalb or Cobb Counties.
Information for Shopping Accident Victims in Fulton County and Area
- Retail Establishments in the Atlanta Area
- Hazards in Retail Stores
- Liability of Stores for Accidents
Retail Establishments in the Atlanta Area
Like other major cities in the United States, the Atlanta area has a mix of national and regional chains, as well locally owned stores. All owe the same duty to customers. Some of the most common include:
- Wal-Mart is the biggest retailer in the country, and bears that status in Atlanta, as well.
- Grocery Stores: Publix Supermarkets and Kroger are the largest grocery stores in the region.
- Big Box Retail: This includes a wide variety of stores, including general retail stores like Target, electronics stores like Best Buy and discount clothing stores like TJ Maxx.
- Shopping Malls: Malls in the region include Lenox Square, Cumberland, Greenbriar and Phipps Plaza.
- Pharmacies: CVS and Walgreens are significant pharmacy chains in the area.
- Discount Stores: Smaller discount retails shops like Dollar General and Family Dollar have a significant presence.
- Warehouse Stores: Costco and Sam’s Club fall into this category.
- Banking: Large chain banks in the area include Bank of America, SunTrust and Wells Fargo.
Hazards in Retail Stores
A retail store is full of potential pitfalls that could cause injury. Some of them include:
- Merchandise, especially liquids, that can spill and cause a slip and fall;
- Recently mopped floors;
- Falling merchandise from improperly stocked shelves;
- Cracks in the floor, sidewalk or parking lot;
- Wiring that may become loose and cause electrocution;
- Potential crime in the parking lot or other areas;
- Loose handrails on stairs; or
- Escalator and elevator accidents.
Liability of Stores for Accidents
Store employees cannot prevent every accident from occurring on store grounds, and the law does not expect them to. However, store management must ensure that reasonable inspections take place to look for potential hazards. Once a hazard is discovered, the store has a duty to warn customers.
For instance, if a liquid spills on the floor, the store may not be liable for damages if a customer immediately slips and falls. However, if several minutes go by and no one comes by to notice and place a “wet floor” sign, then the store may have to pay.
If the store is liable, they will have to pay damages to make the victim whole. That includes hospital and doctor’s bills, lost wages, compensation for pain and suffering and any other expense incurred due to the store’s negligence.
The Balams Firm | Finding An Attorney for Your Atlanta Shopping Accident
You have a right to expect a safe environment when you walk into a retail establishment. If you were injured due to the negligence of store management or store employees, you may recover for your losses. Call Atlanta retail store accident lawyer ReShea Balams today at (404) 445-2005 to schedule a free consultation.