For most people, choosing a lawyer is something they never really expect to do. You may feel overwhelmed, intimidated, and deeply stressed by your situation. Those responses are completely normal and reasonable, especially when you consider how important your choice of attorney may be for your case.
Your attorney is your advocate, your representative, and your guide through each step of the process, from your initial consultation to achieving justice for your losses. Choosing the right person for this role will allow you to recover from your injuries or trauma, knowing that an experienced, caring, competent lawyer is on your side.
Finding an Attorney You Can Trust
When you have been injured in a collision or seek restitution after a family member’s death due to the negligence of another party, you need the support of a lawyer you trust. With so much at stake, including your long-term financial stability, health, and livelihood, you’ll want to avoid choosing a lawyer based on advertising alone! Work through each consideration below, and keep searching until you find the right lawyer for you.
- If you have suffered an injury due to the negligence of another, you will need to choose a lawyer who specializes in personal injury law. Lawyers specialize for a reason – state, local, and federal laws cover an extremely broad range of topics. An attorney specializing in corporate, criminal, or patent law will simply not be appropriately equipped to handle your personal injury case optimally.Once you’ve found a lawyer who may be a good fit for your case, take a moment to confirm their status by checking the bar association to verify that they are an active member in good standing.
- Now that you’ve found a personal injury attorney, note what types of cases they highlight on their website, social media, or ads. For example, do they focus on car accidents, medical malpractice, wrongful death, trucking accidents, property damage, or other topics?
- At your initial consultation, you will have the opportunity to interact with the attorney and truly explore their suitability for you and your case. This is the time to ask questions and ask about their experience and previous results.Have they taken cases to trial? Do their cases almost exclusively settle out of court? Are they often successful in securing maximum compensation for their clients? Don’t be afraid to ask hard questions. A skilled attorney welcomes an informed, engaged client and will be happy to answer your questions about their previous experience and results.
- Request references, and follow up with those contacts. Previous clients can offer valuable information about their experience with an attorney. Find out if they felt the lawyer was supportive and easy to work with. Were they easy to get in contact with? Did they keep their clients informed about each step of the legal process? Importantly, are they pleased with the results of their case?
- Clarify how the lawyer will be paid. Most personal injury attorneys work on contingency, where they don’t get paid until you have received a judgment or settlement in your favor from the court.
- Ask about their legal strategy. What are their initial thoughts on how to approach your case? Of course, this first approach may change as your lawyer investigates the case and uncovers additional evidence and witness statements. An experienced attorney will explain your legal options and will be able to quickly adjust their strategy as they gather more information about your case.
- What sort of outcome can you expect? Your lawyer should be able to walk you through their expectations of how this case will proceed – and the expected results. Many cases are settled out of court, but some are more likely to require a trial before you receive the compensation you deserve. Understanding the likely outcome of your case will help you determine how to proceed.
- Finally: after these questions, how do you feel about this attorney? Listen to your instinct, and weigh the information you have gathered carefully. The legal team you choose will support you through some of the most challenging experiences of your life, and they should be both trustworthy and approachable.
Choosing the Balams Firm to Represent Your Case
Whether you have been injured personally or are pursuing justice after the death of a loved one, your choice of an attorney is crucial. At The Balams Firm, ReShea Balams serves her clients with dedication and a deep determination to seek justice in every case. The Balams Firm advocates tirelessly for clients who have been injured through no fault of their own and now face financial and physical devastation.
If you are seeking legal advice after an injury, contact us today for your free consultation. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, offering exceptional customer service for every client.